Tuesday, October 04, 2005


This shelf and the shelf below aren't really garbage finds - but they are "found object" furniture. They are pieces of wood I brought home from the beach that I've used as shelving for the living room. I think they look super!



I love the patina of them - they're nice and grey and worn looking. Beautiful.

This metal shelf was another thing being thrown away at work. It was puke grey and I painted it blue and now I've got a moveable desk!



Now what a find this was! This is a plumber's old tool box that I found on Shirley Street years ago. And I almost left it behind too. I was out walking the dogs and I saw it, and I said to myself - where will I put it? It must be garbage if someone's put it out in the garbage! And then I shook my head to clear it and said to myself - "what am I thinking! I LOVE boxes! I cannot walk away from that box! Am I crazy?" So I walked the dogs home, got the car, and went and picked up this box. And I have loved this box every day since then. I knew it was a plumber's tool box because of the stuff that was still inside it - like the soldering paste and the couple of tools that were there. I've kept lots of different stuff in it - right now it's got empty picture frames waiting to have photos put in them. I LOVE this box.


This shelf is also another piece of wood that I picked out of someone's garbage because I liked the colour of it. See that picture below it? The one of the schooner? It's a hand painted photo - I bought it for $1 at a yard sale - and I bet it's probably worth at least $100. And that picture beside it is great too - I bought it because of the title - it's called "Peasant girl gathering faggots". I think that's hilarious. It's a painting from a museum in New Brunswick - I bought it at Value Village - both of those pictures are not in the frames I bought them in.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good stuff Joan. I'm not into old stuff (my ex's mom always wanted to drag me around to antique places and consignment shops and I never went - we didn't get along anyway and I didn't want to spend the time with her, lol!) but I do appreciate the friends that see the value in them. You've done a nice job!

3:48 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Joan - I have to take a picture of my trash picked ship's hatch table- I think you would really appreciate it. I love your beach-find shelves, I am fascinated with anything found by the water- where did it come from?? etc etc. I have some cool long pieces of driftwood stuck into some big pots of tropical plants for the plants to use as a sort of trellis to climb up.

11:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home